[Molvis-list] Meaning (or lack of it) in 5-place atomic coordinates

Gale Rhodes rhodes at usm.maine.edu
Tue Mar 8 13:18:09 EST 2005

Hi, Inbal!

Just for your information, although modeling programs might construct
theoretical models and compute atomic coordinates with 5-point
precision, no atomic coordinates from experimental structure
determination (crystallography or NMR) are known to 5-point precision.
Even three decimal places greatly overstates the certainty of atomic
positions in experimental models.

For experimental macromolecular models at the highest resolution, if
coordinates are expressed in angstroms, the first decimal place (tenths
of angstroms) is the last significant digit, and thus it is uncertain
(plus or minus 0.1 to 0.3 angstroms), while subsequent digits are
meaningless. Uncertainty in atomic positions in the best experimental
macromolecular models is usually not less than 0.1 angstrom. In most
published models, it is higher.

In addition, uncertainty in atomic positions is not the same in all
parts of an experimental model. And finally, these numbers treat the
model as static, which is certainly not true. The coordinates are best
viewed as centroids of motion, not as fixed positions. As a rule of
thumb, I consider any intramolecular measurement on even the best
macromolecular model to be uncertain by 0.1 to 0.2 angstroms.

In crystallographic models, uncertainty in atomic positions is not the
same as stated model resolution, which has to do with the highest angle
at which reliable data were collected. Tolerance or uncertainty in
atomic positions can be estimated  from measures of data quality in
various resolution ranges. Graphics pictures of macromolecular models
convey a misleading sense of certainty about atomic locations.

Some (a small percentage, but too many) of models in PDB are of very
low quality and reliability. Just because a model is in the PDB does
not mean it is a high quality model. For an enlightening (and
startling) introduction to judging the quality of macromolecular
models, see Gerard Kleywegt's excellent structure validation tutorials
at

http://xray.bmc.uu.se/gerard/embo2001/modval/index.html

Cheers!