[Molvis-list] Interactive visualization of phi/psi?

Fox, Kristin foxk at union.edu
Thu Jun 8 10:40:03 EDT 2006

All,
	Although I am a big fan of using computer visualization in the
classroom and lab for macromolecules, I really think that this is one
case where using models the students can hold in their hands is
preferable.
	I require them to bring a prebuilt peptide to class when we discuss
phi/psi angles and they can also use it on the exam.  Nothing beats
having the atoms actually crash into each other to give students the
idea of what steric conflict means.  Once they have that obvious
example down (like phi=0,psi=0), we can discuss the idea of atoms
having an electron cloud and the areas of the Ramachandran plot with
conformations that are energetically unfavorable, but not as bad as 0,0.
	We use the Darling models (http://www.darlingmodels.com/ccp51/cgi-
bin/cp-app.cgi) and I bring tape to class so that they can fix the
trans orientation of the peptide bond.  Darling also makes a special
peptide bond model (http://www.darlingmodels.com/ccp51/cgi-bin/cp-
app.cgi?
usr=51F562948&rnd=198151&rrc=N&affl=&cip=149.106.224.2&act=&aff=&pg=prod
&ref=kit_15b&cat=kit_specialized&catstr=HOME:kit_specialized) that
can be used and is only $2.  Our students use these models in organic
chemistry so they already have the kits.

Kristin

Kristin Fox
Associate Professor of Chemistry
Director of Biochemistry