[Molvis-list] label molecules using Jjmol

Timothy Driscoll molvisions at mac.com
Thu Mar 8 12:24:08 EST 2007

On Mar 8, 2007, at 5:46 AM, S.S. Gong wrote:

> Dear all,
> "label" which is a command of rasmol scripts draws default atom
> labels.
> I just want to label not for very atom but for a selected residue
> or an amino acid.
> "label residue true", which is a command of labeling a selected
> residue, works well witch Chime but not with Jmol.
> It would be better if I could label selected molecules using
> 'define' command.
> Any tips for labeling not for every atom but for defined regions or
> a selected residue with Jmol?

Jmol has a lot of label options; see

like Rasmol and Chime, in Jmol, labels are attached to specific
atoms.  the content of the label can be textual:

select *.ca and 43A
label "My Favorite Carbon"

or it can be contextual:

select *.ca
label %m  # labels all alpha-carbons with the 3-letter code of their
parent residue

this latter method can be used to label by residue. (use %n for the 1-
letter codes.)

hope that helps,

Timothy Driscoll                                em: molvis at vbi.vt.edu
Virginia Bioinformatics Institute               ph: 540-231-3007
Bioinformatics I: M-1                           im: molvisions
Washington St., Blacksburg, VA 24061