[Molvis-list] Jmol and chrome

Raymond Keller rsk at misinformation.org
Sat Sep 6 12:11:26 EDT 2008

* Dan Bolser (dan.bolser at gmail.com) [20080906 07:15]:
> 2008/9/5 Kevin Karplus <karplus at soe.ucsc.edu>
> >
> > Since Chrome doesn't exist for Macs or Linux boxes, I have no way to
> > check its deficiencies.  That deficiency alone is enough to rule out
> > my ever using it.
> I'll second that! What are Google thinking?
> "How about Chrome for Linux? You're even more out of luck than people
> running Steve Jobs' operating system. Although Google's also gathering
> e-mail addresses from Linux users who want to be pinged when a version
> is ready, Chrome's developer notes spell out some bad news: "There is
> no [emphasis in original] working Chromium-based browser on Linux,"
> says the build documentation, in red type within a bordered box, no
> less."

The situation may not be so gloomy for Linux+Google fans.

The above-quoted article says also:
  ``"We're hard at work building versions for Mac and Linux," the
  company's heads of engineering and product management said on

The "developers' notes" page referenced in said article is a page of
documentation on how to build Chromium on Linux.  Boldly noting how
it doesn't actually build is just appropriate warning.

My guess is that Google is interested in eating Microsoft's lunch by
turning desktop OSs into commodities by assuring all desktops can
run a common platform of web technology.  Either they'll dominate
the browser space or facilitate it.  Facilitating is probably
easier, so I imagine we can expect open source leadership and
standards compliance for the next decade.  Which I believe spells
interoperability with standards-compliant molecular visualization