[Molvis-list] FirstGlance 2.00 released

Eric Martz emartz at microbio.umass.edu
Mon Apr 28 00:30:32 EDT 2014

I have today released FirstGlance in Jmol version 2.00. As always,

http://FirstGlance.Jmol.Org

This version needs no Java. By default, it uses JSmol (no Java), so
it can run on computers where Java is not installed, or is
unavailable (such as iPads).

It can also run with Java, which greatly improves speed, performance,
and smoothness of rotation of the molecule.

There is a new Preferences tab, in which you can set it to default to
using Java. Installing and enabling Java in various web browsers has
become more and more challenging, so detailed instructions are linked
to the Preferences tab.

This version has no new capabilities for molecular display. It mainly
makes using JSmol without Java much more user friendly (I hope!).

Feedback welcome. There is always more to do but feedback can alert
me to issues I've overlooked, and help me set priorities.

Eric

/* - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Eric Martz, Professor Emeritus, Dept Microbiology
U Mass, Amherst -- http://Martz.MolviZ.Org

Top Five 3D MolVis Technologies http://Top5.MolviZ.Org
FirstGlance: 3D Views in Nature - http://firstglance.jmol.org
3D Protein Wiki with Scene-Authoring Tools http://Proteopedia.Org