[Molvis-list] Running old Jmol tutorials (unsigned applets)

Eric Martz emartz at microbio.umass.edu
Thu Jul 3 15:50:56 EDT 2014

Hi, Malcolm,

Well it won't hurt for the entire list to be aware of this.

In the initial control panel ("molecule information", tab labeled
with the PDB code), below the section on Asymmetric Unit, there is a
link Biological Unit. Yes, viewing it is only a few clicks away.

There is also a link for getting the Biological Unit under the Resources tab.

It is always best to check the Biological Unit for every structure in
order to be aware of how it may differ from the Asymmetric Unit
published by crystallographers. Those terms are defined/explained in
the help within FirstGlance in Jmol, and further via links within
FirstGlance in Jmol.

In the case of 3b8e, the biological unit is half of the asymmetric
unit, namely it is a 3-chain trimer (instead of two copies, six chains).

Regards, Eric