[Pdbwiki-devel] Dev. list up and running!

Dan Bolser dan.bolser at gmail.com
Fri May 1 08:10:05 EDT 2009

2009/5/1 Jose M. Duarte <jose.m.duarte at gmail.com>:
> Thanks for setting up the list Dan!
>
> I hope that in the next few days I finally get round to fix the few things
> needed for pdbwiki 1.2. As Henning said it would be nice if the site looks
> more up to date while the review of the paper happens.

That would be great, but it has been running in its current state for
2 years, so I don't think we really need to panic.

For your reference, here are the relevant parts of the '-help' output
of the 'replace.py' function in the pywikipediabot suite:

[dbolser at cricket pywikipedia]$ python replace.py -help

Global arguments available for all bots:

-help             Shows this help text.

-putthrottle:n    Set the minimum time (in seconds) the bot will wait between
-pt:n             saving pages.

-verbose          Have the bot provide additional output that may be useful in
-v                debugging.

This bot will make direct text replacements. It will retrieve information on
which pages might need changes [from] ... a text file, or only
change a single page.

These command line parameters can be used to specify which pages to work on:

-cat              Work on all pages which are in a specific category.
                  Argument can also be given as "-cat:categoryname" or
                  as "-cat:categoryname|fromtitle".

-file             Read a list of pages to treat from the named text file.
                  Page titles in the file must be enclosed with [[brackets]].
                  Argument can also be given as "-file:filename".

-links            Work on all pages that are linked from a certain page.
                  Argument can also be given as "-links:linkingpagetitle".

-start            Specifies that the robot should go alphabetically through
                  all pages on the home wiki, starting at the named page.
                  Argument can also be given as "-start:pagetitle".

-titleregex       Work on titles that match the given regular expression.

-transcludes      Work on all pages that use a certain template.
                  Argument can also be given as "-transcludes:Template:Title".

-usercontribs     Work on all articles that were edited by a certain user :
                  Example : -usercontribs:DumZiBoT

-random           Work on random pages returned by [[Special:Random]].
                  Can also be given as "-random:n" where n is the number
                  of pages to be returned, else 10 pages are returned.

-page             Only edit a specific page.
                  Argument can also be given as "-page:pagetitle". You can
                  give this parameter multiple times to edit multiple pages.

Furthermore, the following command line parameters are supported:

-regex            Make replacements using regular expressions. If this argument
                  isn't given, the bot will make simple text replacements.

-nocase           Use case insensitive regular expressions.

-dotall           Make the dot match any character at all, including a newline.
                  Without this flag, '.' will match anything except a newline.

-multiline        '^' and '$' will now match begin and end of each line.

-summary:XYZ      Set the summary message text for the edit to XYZ, bypassing
                  the predefined message texts with original and replacements
                  inserted.

-always           Don't prompt you for each replacement

other:            First argument is the old text, second argument is the new
                  text. If the -regex argument is given, the first argument
                  will be regarded as a regular expression, and the second
                  argument might contain expressions like \1 or \g<name>.

Examples:

If you want to change templates from the old syntax, e.g. {{msg:Stub}}, to the
new syntax, e.g. {{Stub}}, download an XML dump file (pages-articles) from
http://download.wikimedia.org, then use this command:

    python replace.py -xml -regex "{{msg:(.*?)}}" "{{\1}}"

If you have a dump called foobar.xml and want to fix typos in articles, e.g.
Errror -> Error, use this:

    python replace.py -xml:foobar.xml "Errror" "Error" -namespace:0

This command will change 'referer' to 'referrer', but not in pages which
talk about HTTP, where the typo has become part of the standard:

    python replace.py referer referrer -file:typos.txt -excepttext:HTTP

HTH,

Dan.