[Pipet Devel] naming madness

J.W. Bizzaro bizzaro at geoserve.net
Wed Dec 22 21:03:57 EST 1999

The non-profit "Leonardo Association" in France was raided by police following
a lawsuit filed by the "Leonardo Finance" company.  Why?  Leonardo
Association's Web site showed up on an Internet search of the word
"Leonardo".  Apparently no one but the Leonardo Finance may use the word.

    http://mitpress.mit.edu/e-journals/Leonardo/

This reminds me of the time the Frenchman whose last name is "Montana" sued
the U.S. state of Montana for use of his name.  So, maybe it's just the French
;-)

What does this have to do with Loci?  I'm just thinking about how seriously
some people take alleged idea-theft.  Not that we do that, but as with the
above cases, it's only the perception that matters.

Maybe we should have used some obscure name like "tacg" :-)

                      |           THE OPEN LAB           |
                      |    Open Source Bioinformatics    |