[Pipet Devel] our own XML

J.W. Bizzaro bizzaro at bc.edu
Wed Jan 27 19:16:58 EST 1999

Justin et al,

Then let's try to design our own XML, emphasizing (1) biomacromolecule structure
according to Konrad's specifications, (2) biopolymer sequence, (3) commands and
queries used by Loci, (4) object orientation, and (5) workflow...as these things
work best with Paos.  And let's see if we can make use of the best of existing

Carlos, can Paos be extended to offer _native_ support for XML objects that
embed queries and other information needed to make our workflow system, as we've
been discussing lately?  Not to make Paos work only with our biological XML, but
to work with any XML that supports the embedding of workflow information.

Konrad Hinsen wrote:
>    Konrad, you thought we might want to do this back when we had only three people
>    involved.  Maybe we can call it "LocusML" or "Bio-Object ML" (BOML) or
>    "Bio-Macromolecule ML" (BMML).
> Fine with me, and I'd certainly use it for other applications as well.
> On the other hand, it is possible to design DTDs by extending existing
> ones. Perhaps this is a good idea to save effort and keep compatibility
> to some extent.

J.W. Bizzaro                  Phone: 617-552-3905
Boston College                mailto:bizzaro at bc.edu
Department of Chemistry       http://www.uml.edu/Dept/Chem/Bizzaro/