[Pipet Devel] BioML license

J.W. Bizzaro bizzaro at bc.edu
Sat Jan 23 18:00:16 EST 1999

David,

I was just told about the BioML language.  I am the coordinator of a rather
large project to develop a free and open source (GNU GPL) bioinformatics
package.  It's called "The Loci Project," and here is the Web site:

    http://www.uml.edu/Dept/Chem/BICGroup/Apps/TULIP/

XML will be the backbone of communication between tools.  We were looking
closely at BSML and CML for descriptions of both sequence and structure (neither
does both well).

Anyway, my question to you, since you are the person to contact for "commercial"
uses of BioML, is what sort of restrictions do you have on the use of BioML?  I
was not able to find this information on the Web site.  Although Loci is not
commercial, our licensing (GPL) is not compatible with other licenses that
restrict commercial use.

Also, could you give us a brief contrast between BioML and BSML?  What was the
motivation behind making "another" XML?  Thank you!

J.W. Bizzaro                  Phone: 617-552-3905
Boston College                mailto:bizzaro at bc.edu
Department of Chemistry       http://www.uml.edu/Dept/Chem/Bizzaro/