[Pipet Devel] more batch processing

Harry Mangalam hjm at cx408397-a.irvn1.occa.home.com
Fri Jan 22 22:41:42 EST 1999

Hi All,

    Re: the question of queueing, load-sharing/leveling, and being able to
track a pid persistently, isn't this something that should be addressed at
the system level?  ie - isn't this something that should be taken up in
concert with the kernel folks or maybe the gnome folks so that the tulip
plan doesn't go off in a direction ideal for us but turns out to be the one
NOT chosen by others?

I HATE committees but I hate rewriting large chunks of code more.

In the interim, if we need something to get this off the ground, a little
hack could be writ to take the pid of the process and track it thru a cgi
call to look at the the appropriate /proc entry.  This approach would, of
course, require a different shim for evey OS (Irix is different than linux
is different than Solaris, etc), but it would allow progress without
committing to a possibly nonsensical path.

Or we just ignore it for the present and write a dummy call
HereBePersistantIds() that allows us to sidestep it.  If it's gonna be done,
it should be done right, but waiting for it to be done right doesn't have to
lock other efforts.

Or...I'm completely offbase and forgive me...

Cheers
harry

On Sat, 23 Jan 1999, J.W. Bizzaro wrote:

> One more, CERN NQS.  It is "freely available".  I don't know the license or the
> Web site, but here's the FTP site:
>
>     ftp://shift.cern.ch/pub/NQS/
>
> Looking at Generic NQS (last e-mail), I think it may be the way to go.  GNU
> Queue is for "homogeneous clusters of workstations".
>

> Jeff
> --
> J.W. Bizzaro                  Phone: 617-552-3905
> Boston College                mailto:bizzaro at bc.edu
> Department of Chemistry       http://www.uml.edu/Dept/Chem/Bizzaro/
> --

Cheers,
Harry

Harry J Mangalam, Developmental + Cell Biology
Rm 4201, Biological Sciences II, UC Irvine, Irvine, CA, 92697
(949) 824 4824[vox], (949) 824 8551[fax], mangalam at uci.edu
http://hornet.bio.uci.edu/~hjm/