[Pipet Devel] Data Storage Interfaces

Justin Bradford justin at ukans.edu
Thu Jun 24 13:23:32 EDT 1999

> Guys, another white paper on gnome:
>
> http://www.gnome.org/white-papers/DOM/domination.html
>
> This one talk about "sliding windows" and DOM, as a way of not keeping a whole
> DOM tree in memory, and ways the gnome project uses DOM with a different (more
> efficient) internal representation.

>From my reading, it sounds like the sliding part is mostly concerned with
reducing the number of objects (and their corresponding mappings)
generated due to the CORBA interface. This does help of course, but I
still think the whole tree is in memory.

I had intended to use the gdome spec for the CORBA interface to DOM,
anyway, but I'd like to be able to swap out the actual back-end, as well.
I had envisioned a more lightweight method, as well. I'll read more about
it, and email the author of the white paper. I think an additional
client-side optimization could provide the same effect as their sliding
windows, and still keep the standard DOM interface.

Also, I expect an additional need to map DOM over TCP/IP, but that won't
prevent us from using gdome.

Justin