[Pipet Devel] Complexity

Jennifer Steinbachs stein at fmnh.org
Thu Apr 27 11:51:23 EDT 2000

Quoting "J.W. Bizzaro" <bizzaro at geoserve.net>:

> jarl van katwijk wrote:
> >
> > You'd agree when I say Bioinformatics is the biology
term of what is more
> generally called Complexity?
> Hmmm.  That's a new one to me.  Are you talking about
complexity in math or
> comp sci or what?

Aren't they more or less the same?

For what it is worth, I'm sitting in a class (call it
"guest student") on bioinformatics offered through comp
sci at U of Chicago.  It has been quite amusing so
far...  Ever listen to computer scientists try to teach
other computer scientists about protein transcription
and translation?  :)  This course is more focused on
teaching algorithms for different aspects in
bioinformatics (mostly sequence analysis), so I also
keep hearing the phrase "well, it's actually messier
than that..."  I think the plan was originally to stay
focused on deterministic solutions, until I spoke up and
pointed out that probabilistic methods are making great
in-roads (HMMs, Bayesian estimation, etc.), and so this
week included a real hand-wavy lecture about Markov
chains and HMMs: "You use a subset of the data to make
your probability estimates from which you build your
model and then extrapolate to larger datasets."  Quite
an original explanation.

J. Steinbachs, PhD
Computational Biologist
Dept Botany