[Pipet Devel] summary for web

J.W. Bizzaro bizzaro at geoserve.net
Wed Apr 5 11:18:19 EDT 2000

Brad Chapman wrote:

>         So, my idea was that by having remote node communication occur in
> the definition layer, we could free up the brokering layer to do this kind
> of stuff. I think this will speed up processing times and make for a more
> efficient overall system (I had some arguments for these points in my
> first mail about this).
>         Does this seem like an unreasonable proposal?

Then the DL really does 2 things: (1) communicates between front and BL, and
(2) communicates between different instances of BLs across the Internet.
Correct?

Should the DL be split into 2 parts then?

>         Well, this is another reason why I'm worried about using ORBit for
> everything. Not having any experience with designing multi-threaded corba
> applications, I really can't predict the kinds of problems we might see,
> or how well ORBit will handle multithreading on the level that will
> probably be going on in the definition layer. I guess this is an issue
> where we'll just have to try it and see :-)

Better support for multithreading is something the ORBit developers are
working on?

                      |        BIOINFORMATICS.ORG        |
                      |           The Open Lab           |