[Pipet Devel] Security model

J.W. Bizzaro bizzaro at geoserve.net
Fri Apr 7 19:04:35 EDT 2000

Brad Chapman wrote:

> > 1a- BL's authenticate DL's for applying XML into
> > the processing engine.
> > 1b- The 1st DL loggin into the BL is automatically
> > the 'root' DL,
> >        and has the ability to grant other DL's
> > access.
> > 1c- Other DL's (local and remote) can connect via
> > CORBA after
> >        the root DL has granted them access.

Okay, how many fronts (GUI's) per DL are we talking about here?  One or more?

> > 1d- DL's can connect to multiple BL's.

By means of the DL layer again?  Or directly?

> > 1e- BL nodes (or: VSH subnets) can communicate
> > with other BL nodes
> >        only if both nodes have the same parent
> > DL.

Meaning the BL nodes are local?

> > 2a- a DL authenticates other DL's for access to
> > its nodes\subnets.
> > 2b- DL's can connect to other DL's and
> > upload\download XML
> >        documents outof and into.
> > 2c- No DL can connect to the root DL, so no
> > non-root DL has ability 2a.

I don't get it.  If the root DL is the first to connect, how can another DL
connect?  Nothing can connect to the root DL.

                      |        BIOINFORMATICS.ORG        |
                      |           The Open Lab           |