[Pipet Devel] distributed filesystem proposal

J.W. Bizzaro bizzaro at geoserve.net
Tue Apr 11 10:14:43 EDT 2000

Jarl van Katwijk wrote:

> So the cetral server gets 2 funtions:

Okay, but since every copy of vsh will have the same filesystem, there will be
no 'central Napster-like server' that all XML MUST pass through.  The only
REQUIREMENT for communication is when a volume/network is mounted/opened
across the Internet (also the 'naming service' mentioned below).  In such as
case, the remote host needs to be kept up to date on changes.

> 1- exporting VSH instances locations so they can find each other.

This is Brad's 'naming service', which gives the location of DL's (vsh
instances) and needs to be in one location on the Internet.  This is the only
'central server' we really need.

> 2- supplying public nodes\subnets\networks that are somehow 'good'.

Ummmm.  We can set up one big server with lots of networks and nodes
available, and I plan on doing just that.  But every copy of vsh will be able
to do the same.

                      |        BIOINFORMATICS.ORG        |
                      |           The Open Lab           |