[Pipet Devel] Re: thoughts on UI->DL communication

jarl van katwijk jarl at casema.net
Tue Apr 11 14:40:19 EDT 2000

"J.W. Bizzaro" wrote:

> I also think the BL needs to handle the management of permanent network/volume
> storage.

No problem. I think I hardly need to change anything about the storage, only need
realize the retreival code.
GMS currently stores all data that passed its net to disk. (or gms naming:
'historyIO')
This is kinda rough, but in principal it's what you need.

> The DL/UI will handle the temporary loading of networks/volumes into a
> workspace.

Yep, by doing so reducing processing load.

>       UI             UI
>         |                 |
>       \ | /            \ | /
>     rootDL      DL
>         |                 |
>       \ | /            \ | /
>                BL

> As per Jarl's suggestion.  So, there really is only DL->DL authentication,
> correct?

No, arf, this is my suggestion:

    1)                2)                3)

      UI             UI               UI
        |                 |                    |
      \ | /            \ | /               \ | /
    rootDL      DL <--- DL
BROKERING LAYER

1- rootDL log AUTOMATICALLY into the BL,
2- this rootDL can grant other DL's access to the BL,
3- every DL can deside to grant other DL access to ITS OWN nodes.
        (but maybe the rootDL shouldn't be able to do (3)? )

Clear?

bye,
jarl