[Pipet Devel] License

J.W. Bizzaro bizzaro at geoserve.net
Fri Apr 14 17:12:27 EDT 2000

Jean-Marc Valin wrote:

> I think it's time to start thinking (not flaming ;-) ) about licenses to use.
> What will be GPL, what will be LGPL? Also, I was thinking about a Linux-like
> exception to the GPL for overflow, allowing "binary-only" plugins for new nodes
> and types.

I'm glad you brought this up, since I have been thinking about this issue.

Loci is licensed under the LGPL (Lesser GPL), and NOT the ordinary GPL.  This
was done for a very specific reason: The GPL does NOT allow linking from
non-GPL programs, but the LGPL DOES.  Most GNU libraries are in fact LGPL:
Gtk, Gnome, ORBit, etc.

The orginal plan for Loci was much like our current plan for VSH: Make a
system that allows unrelated programs communicate across the Internet.  And
since we would probably like non-GPL programs to be included in this system, I
think the LGPL would be best.

                      |        BIOINFORMATICS.ORG        |
                      |           The Open Lab           |