[Pipet Devel] License

J.W. Bizzaro bizzaro at geoserve.net
Tue Apr 18 11:26:34 EDT 2000

9.89DF2746 at casema.net>

Jarl van Katwijk wrote:
> Yes, the one that makes it possible to have programs
> wrapped\linked that
> are of any type of licence.

The way I see it, the LGPL allows the 'linking' of the LGPL program to a
non-GPL program (the ordinary GPL does not allow it).  Unfortunately, the LGPL
does not define very well what is meant by 'linking' :-(  I know that
'linking' does not mean 'incorporating'.  We should define these in our own

    'Incorporating' means to combine code bases to the extent that
    the programs are packaged and compiled together: They essentially
    become one program.

    'Linking' is the connection of a SPECIFIC program/library to VSh
    to form a path of communication that is REQUIRED for either VSh
    or the program/library to function.  IPC between VSh and another
    executable program is NOT considered 'linking', since either can
    function without the other.

It makes sense that making a connection between Netscape Navigator and Apache
is not the 'linking' mentioned and restricted by the GPL, doesn't it?  The GPL
only addresses certain types of linking.  I think this is what Linus Torvalds
is saying in his note atop the Linux license:

    NOTE! This copyright does *not* cover user programs that use kernel
  services by normal system calls - this is merely considered normal use
  of the kernel, and does *not* fall under the heading of "derived work".

If we add to the LGPL, definitions of 'linking' and 'incorporating' like the
ones I gave, we should be covered for connecting non-GPL programs and
libraries to VSh.

                      |           J.W. Bizzaro           |
                      | http://bioinformatics.org/~jeff/ |
                      |        BIOINFORMATICS.ORG        |