[Pipet Devel] Open DX as a loci skeleton?

Harry Mangalam mangalam at home.com
Fri Feb 11 16:41:12 EST 2000

Hi All,

I'm working on a large-scale gene expression database and analysis project
(Open Source!) and one of teh tools that we're seriously evaluating is
IBM's Open Data Explorer (DX), now also Open Source (a requirement for the
project).  It's at www.opendx.org.  I just recently got it to compile and
link on my RH6 box (50+MB of code and docs)

It's a client/server visual programming environment that encapsulates some
of the ideas that have been flowing on this channel (altho it's not
Python-based).  However, it does have a modularity and architecture that
looks looks a lot like Loci, and since it's Open Source, I wonder if it
couldn't be mined to exploit the functionality that Loci needs.

Has anyone here looked at it with that in mind and considered appropriating
that which could be appropriate to appropriate?  It was once a commercial
(expensive!) product and it runs on most all *ixs and NT (with an Xserver)
and it has been relatively well-debugged.

The loci / module aspect of it is very intriguing.

--
Cheers,
Harry

Harry J Mangalam -- (949) 856 2847 -- mangalam at home.com