[Pipet Devel] Open DX as a loci skeleton?

J.W. Bizzaro bizzaro at geoserve.net
Fri Feb 11 22:38:17 EST 2000

Harry Mangalam wrote:

> Yup - that's about what appealed to me as well.

So, you'll be using DX instead of Loci? :-(   Of course, Loci isn't quite
ready.

> > Considering that Loci's and OpenDX's architectures are so closely aligned,
> > and that we have yet to hammer out the details of the 'executive', I think
> > we would be wise to take a peek at their code.
>
> So I'm not entirely in left field :) or if I am, at least Gary's standing
> next to me.

You're playing short-stop.

> do you know if there is a CORBA component to the
> DX communication layer?  There doesn't appear to be from a cursory rip thru
> the docs, but even if there isn't, that might be the key component that
> Loci (or NCGR) could contribute.

You mean The Open Lab, unless Loci is modeled _that_ closely after DX.

What is NCGR working on?

> However, Doug Schmidt (who coincidentally works at UCI, a few minutes from
> me) has put together an Open Source Adaptive Communications Environment
> (ACE - http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/ACE-overview.html ) that uses CORBA
> for creating distributed computing environments.  The combination of the
> two might be what's needed.

I don't think this was mentioned before.  I'll go take a look.

                      |        BIOINFORMATICS.ORG        |
                      |           The Open Lab           |