[Pipet Devel] Attempt at Constructing the Command Line

J.W. Bizzaro bizzaro at geoserve.net
Mon Jan 17 00:19:19 EST 2000

Brad Chapman wrote:

> I'm using the latest version (1.5.2). I took a look at the lib
> documentation for os.makedirs and found the following:
[...]
> The default mode is 0777 (octal). New in version 1.5.2.

That's the problem.  I'm using 1.5.1, which is standard with RH6.0.

> So it appears as if this will require 1.5.2 to run. My setup for python is
> the default so hopefully the problem should only be a 1.5.2 versus older
> versions problem. I know there was mention of a RedHat issue with 1.5.2
> versus 1.5 on the omniORBpy mailing list. I think some versions of RedHat
> ship with 1.5 by default, so sometimes even if people had 1.5.2 installed,
> 1.5 would still be in their path.

Does RedHat 6.1 also come with 1.5.1?

>         If it is a problem to use 1.5.2 only stuff, let me know and I'll
> think of a workaround here. I like os.makedirs() over os.mkdir() because
> the former will put in all intermediate directories when making
> directories, but I can do something different.

1.5.2 is still pretty new, so I don't know how many users will have it.  Do we
want to make some 95% of our users upgrade their Python installation?  What's
the concensus here?  Who on this list wants to stick with Python 1.5.1?  (I
may have to send this as a separate message to get some people's attention.)

I think we could have Loci check the version of Python being used and select a
method accordingly.  Or maybe we could hold off on os.makedirs() until 1.5.2
becomes more common.

                      |           THE OPEN LAB           |
                      |    Open Source Bioinformatics    |