[Pipet Devel] Attempt at Constructing the Command Line

J.W. Bizzaro bizzaro at geoserve.net
Tue Jan 18 01:14:30 EST 2000

"J.W. Bizzaro" wrote:

> Make _everything_ work "The Loci Way" (take elemental loci, set parameters,
> and then plug them together to make composite loci).

I can't stress this enough: Whenever anyone comes up with an interface to run
in a windowlet, or the wrapper for a locus, BREAK IT UP INTO THE SMALLEST
PIECES POSSIBLE: These pieces are the elemental loci; these will be combined
by connecting connectors and forming a composite locus.  And if the elemental
loci do not exist, we need to make them and add them to the library.

I was thinking about the statusbar description Brad made for "ls".  How can
you make this "The Loci Way"?  Well, lets have a locus for setting statusbar
descriptions.  I imagine the Workspace GUI would be a simple text entry box:

    +---------------------------+
    |                           |
    |   +-------------------+   |
    |   |                   |   |
    |   |                   |   |
    |   |                   |   |
    |   +-------------------+   |
    |                           |
    +---------------------------+

Typing in some text, connecting the connector to another locus, and making a
composite, causes this description to be added to the other locus, which would
appear in the statusbar.

The XML could be something like this:

    <description>
        ls is a program for listing the contents of a directory.
    </description>

I imagine descriptions could be added to any number of widgets, and they'd
appear in the statusbar whenever the widget is in focus.

REMEMBER THE LOCI WAY:

  (1) Break a new feature up into the smallest possible elements.
  (2) Any new elements that need to be made are added to the library.
  (3) Connect the elements using the appropriate heirarchy.
  (4) Set any parameters that you need or want to.
  (5) Transform the connected elements into a composite.

                      |           THE OPEN LAB           |
                      |    Open Source Bioinformatics    |