[Pipet Devel] Overflow/gms integration into Piper

Brad Chapman chapmanb at arches.uga.edu
Tue Jul 4 13:07:49 EDT 2000

Hello all;
    I've just checked in a bunch of changes that allow Piper to be
able to both save and load workflow-diagrams in a format compatible
with Overflow (well, the saving part has been around for a while).
This means that, at least for simple cases, we are able to make a
work-flow-diagram in Overflow, save it, and load it up in Piper (and
vice versa).
    This is pretty snazy, and I'd like to start working to expand it
further so that all Overflow saved files can be opened in Piper. To do
this, I'd like to have more Overflow 'node' types to play with, so
that I can do crazier things and don't get too fixated on just making
a couple of cases.
    Jean-Marc has written a snazzy perl script which can generate xml
files for 'nodes' based on the information in the C++
header/implementation file. What I'd like to try and do is use this to
generate the xml files for all the nodes at compile time, so then we
don't need to distribute all of these millions of XML files with
Piper, and also so that we can change XML formats if we need to
without having to change a billion XML files.
    So in order to do this, we would need to have the Overflow C++
files in the piper module. So, I was wondering about how people felt
about putting Overflow and also GMS into Piper as bl and pl
directories, respectively. I've talked with Jarl about this a bit and
I think he might almost be ready to do this. From Overflow, I would
just like to put in the 'data-flow' directory for now, since this will
give us the "basic" nodes for doing things. Putting things into Piper
will also bring us closer to integration, which I also like :-).
    So, what does everything think about this? Objections? Thoughts?
Comments? Are there better ways to move forward?
    Thanks for listening!

Brad