[Pipet Devel] Thoughts on Network/Composite Inputs and Outputs

Brad Chapman chapmanb at arches.uga.edu
Fri Jul 28 09:46:42 EDT 2000

[...what to name connectors that get mapped to the parent locus...]

> Well, Piper should know what /type/ of information each connector
relays, or
> what the connection represents, so how about the default name simply
being
> the
> connector type?

Well, the name of a connector has to be unique (this is the id of
each connector) so just the type wouldn't work properly, since if you
had two "Constant" node types in a network, and then mapped both of
their "VALUE" connectors to the parent locus, you would get a clash.
    As I mentioned I have been munging together the type (ie. VALUE)
with a sort of unique identifier (ie. Constant1) to get something
like 'Constant1--VALUE' for a name. This works okay now, but I guess I
just worry how easy it will be to maintain. This is also not very
helpful to a user, since right now they only see 'Constant' as the
name of the node, and so can't tell which Constant is Constant1 and
which is Constant2.
    Overflow gets around all of this by just making the user pick a
name to identify the connector which is being mapped to the parent, so
this is another choice to make things easier. This is kind of a pain,
but I don't know which way is better. What do people think?

Brad