[Pipet Devel] Natural Language CLIs?

J.W. Bizzaro jeff at bioinformatics.org
Sat Jul 29 14:00:16 EDT 2000

Deanne,

You might be interested in this thread at Slashdot, which is about Natural
Language Interfaces and the command-line.  This is something I thought a great
deal about with respect to the Peep interface prior to you actually starting
on it.  I also wrote a bit about it here in the past.

  http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=00/07/16/1713207&mode=flat

>From the referenced article:

``Blackcomb will be the first fully .Net-enabled Windows release from
Microsoft, and the version of Windows that will include "the most profound
changes in the UI (user interface)," Gates told PDC attendees. Blackcomb will
be the Windows release where Microsoft will incorporate the "type in-line"
feature, which Microsoft first demonstrated at its .Net Forum 2000 rollout in
late June. Type in-line is a natural-language interface that will allow users
to more quickly and centrally search the Web, access documents and answer
simple questions.''

This is yet another Piper feature to show up in .NET.  Sometimes, I swear Bill
Gates is reading my mind, or subscribed to this list.

``Yes, I can read your mind.  And shame on you!''