[Pipet Devel] piper 0.0.0 suggestions

J.W. Bizzaro bizzaro at geoserve.net
Thu Jun 1 12:38:00 EDT 2000

Brad Chapman wrote:

> Ooops, yeah, I am installing these scripts as python modules and not
> as scripts, so they don't get chmoded. I'll fix this. I think I'll
> also double fix it by calling the scripts using "python runpiper.py,"
> so this should take care of everything :-)

Yeah, that should do it.

> I'll look into this. I guess what I'd probably try to do is have an
> optional configure argument --piperprefix in addition to prefix, so
> you could do:
>
> ./configure --prefix=/usr --piperprefix=/usr/home
>
> and do what you want. Does this sound good? Damn, why can't everyone
> just put everything in /usr/local and be happy with it :-).

[snip stuff about piper-0.0.0 being dir name]

> Okay, I'll look at this too. I think what would be best if you want
> this is to have piper-0.0.0 or whatever, and then a symlink from piper
> -> piper-0.0.0, then when you install you just install the new package
> (piper-0.1) and update the link to point to this. I have no clue how
> to do this, but I can look into it.

I was thinking (amazing, aint it?) about a single solution to both problems.
Instead of the second option being...

    --piperprefix=/usr/home

it could be...

    --piperhome=/usr/home/piper-0.0.0

Then, people can put the thing wherever they want AND name it whatever they
want :-)  What do you think?

> Hopefully, I'll be able to get a new tarball up within a few days with
> the new corba communication between the dl and uil and this will give
> something a little more stable to work off of. It would of course be
> quite excellent to have improvements on the UIs. This is definately
> one of the most important parts o' Piper, especially since that is
> what a lot of people base their initial impressions on, irregardless
> of how good (or bad) the underlying program is. Plus, no one else much
> likes doing GUI stuff, so we are quite excited that you like to work
> on this!

I'm glad to have a smaller piece of code to work on and that it's the piece I
enjoy working on the most.  I can't imagine writing this whole thing myself
anymore :-)

                      |        BIOINFORMATICS.ORG        |
                      |           The Open Lab           |