[Pipet Devel] New piper version + docs

Brad Chapman chapmanb at arches.uga.edu
Sat Jun 10 08:46:33 EDT 2000

Jeff wrote:
> Brad, do you have a newer tarball for me to put in CVS?  Or should I
put
> 0.0.1
> in?  You should let me do the import, since I am the project
administrator.

Well, I'd like to get Peep integrated so that this will be ready in
cvs as well, and then I can send you a new tarball to import. One
question along these lines is: how should we work with the multiple
user interfaces? Should you start piper with a command like 'piper
pied' or 'piper peep' and then it will start the appropriate user
interface? Or you you want to have separate --pied=on, --peep=off type
command line options like we have right now? Also, maybe we should
have an option in the configuration file for the default user
interface if no option is passed on the command line, so that 99% of
the time you can just start up piper with 'piper' and get what you
want.
    A big thing we want to be careful of, especially when importing
the original project, is to avoid getting autoconf cruft in CVS. The
only things from autoconf/make that we should need in CVS are the
configure.in and Makefile.am files, plus a few extra shell scripts.
I'll try to send you a clean tarball that is ready for import
directly, but I just wanted to mention this in general since autoconf
generates a lot of junk that we don't want in cvs.
    Also, do you (or anyone else) have any changes you need me to
merge by hand prior to importing?
    Sounds cool, tho, I'll be happy to have it back in cvs :-).

Brad