[Pipet Devel] GConf, Loci, pickles, etc.

Jean-Marc Valin jean-marc.valin at hermes.usherb.ca
Sat Jun 10 13:44:13 EDT 2000

> > question. However, I can say that once you've started using the STL, you never
> > want to go back. It's so simple and intuitive to use. For example, you can use a
> > "string" type as if it were an int, with all the operators and never caring
> > about deleting pointers, ...
>
> Hehe, this is the feeling I have with glib :)

Here are a couple things you can do with the STL:

int main() {
   map<string,int> months;
   months["january"] = 31;
   months["february"] = 28;
   ///and so on

   cout << "january has " << january["january"] << " days" << endl;
}

Note that this program doesn't leak. Also, unlike glib, the STL can have vectors
and lists of objects (like vector<string>) and not only lists of object
pointers. Also, because of destructors objects automatically delete their
resources when they go out of scope. I think that all (almost) everything in
glib has a STL equivalent that's also likely to be simpler to use.

	Jean-Marc

--
Jean-Marc Valin
Universite de Sherbrooke - Genie Electrique
valj01 at gel.usherb.ca