[Pipet Devel] NetInputs and NetOutputs

J.W. Bizzaro bizzaro at geoserve.net
Tue Jun 20 01:07:27 EDT 2000

Brad Chapman wrote:

> Yup, you've already got addInput, addOutput, removeInput, removeOutput to
> call (althought I still need to implement 'em, but that's coming soon...).

Great.

>     So basically what we've got a corba idl for now is the controller,
> which allows the user interface to manipulate the Model (the xml in the
> definition layer). What Jeff is talking about (I think) is implementing the
> View part, so that the definition layer can automatically update the user
> interface when something exciting happens in the XML.

Right!  The UI needs to keep an ear tuned to the DL so that the SYSTEM (rather
than the user) can directly affect the "view".  AND, since the UI also needs
confirmation of the validity of the requests, it seems to me that ALL of the
"exciting" things happening in the UI should come from the DL.  I don't think
that the user should have DIRECT control over anything in the UI except for
opening windowlets (Pied), listing the contents of a network (Peep), and the
like.

> Using this model, the
> user would only be able to do cosmetic things with the user interface (move
> stuff around, open and close windowlets) and then would call the Controller
> (the idl we have now) when it wants to do something more exciting, like
> connect or add nodes, the Changes are made by the Model updating the View.

Zactly :-)

>     Does this make sense with what you were thinking about, Jeff?

I think we're talking about the same thing.

> Make
> sense to anyone else? If so, I can start working on setting things up to
> work like this. It would make a lot of sense, and would help make the

How so?  How are you planning on making Piper "load" Overflow XML?

Cheers.
Jeff
--
                      |           J.W. Bizzaro           |