[Pipet Devel] NetInputs and NetOutputs

Brad Chapman chapmanb at arches.uga.edu
Tue Jun 20 10:37:13 EDT 2000

Jeff wrote:
> So, let me get this straight.  At this point, we have the ability to
imbed PL
> (Overflow) XML (.n) into the XML describing a BL (world-wide)
network?

    Okay, I only sort of know what you are talking about here :-). To
the best of my knowledge the development plan right now is to focus on
local nodes, so that Piper will end up being kind of a clone of
Overflow functionality, with the added features to expand to include
all of the other ideas we want to incorporate.
    So, since this is the initial goal, the plan was to have the
document that will be submitted to the BL just be the Overflow XML
('.n') files. So the role of the BL is very simple right now, just
talk with the DL, pass the XML file on to the PL, and then collect
the information that it spits out.
    So there really is no "BL XML" yet, and I guess the role of the BL
will expand slowly as Jarl is ready for it, and as things progress. My
initial goal is to make Piper compatible with Overflow, so that
Jean-Marc can switch to using Piper exclusively (if he likes it :-)
for his work. This will give us a good base functionality, since
Overflow already does a lot of cool stuff, and then will give us
something to expand off of.
    Does this answer your question? If not, I'm not sure what your
question was :-).

Brad