[Pipet Devel] overflow question

Jean-Marc Valin jean-marc.valin at hermes.usherb.ca
Thu Jun 22 13:11:54 EDT 2000

jarl van katwijk a écrit :

> Jean-Marc Valin wrote:
>
> > > Is Overflow (PL) going to communicate with the BL through InputStream and
> > > OutputStream?
> >
> > If could, but it doesn't have to. Let me explain what those are. An InputStream
> > node takes a string (generally a file name) as input, opens it and returns a C++
> > ifstream that can be used by other nodes to read info. The same for
> > OutputStream. I think the best way to communicate is simply via function calls:
> > the BL calls Overflow functions and get the result.
>
> The PL will notify the BL once the data is ready I hope :)
>
> The way I see it the InputStream and OutputStream remain INSIDE the PL untill the
> network has ended execution OR the next PLnode is not at localhost.

I think you don't understand what InputStream is. It's nothing more the the
"Open" call. It returns an ifstream, which is the C++ equivalent of a (FILE *).

Here's how I think it should work: the BL calls teh getOutput(...) method on the
last node(s) of the PL network and the result is returned in the return value of
the call. Because Overflow works by "pulling" in data, the getOutput call won't
return until everything is done.

	Jean-Marc

--
Jean-Marc Valin
Universite de Sherbrooke - Genie Electrique
valj01 at gel.usherb.ca