[Pipet Devel] hierarchy (was: icons)

Brad Chapman chapmanb at arches.uga.edu
Fri Jun 23 22:21:31 EDT 2000

Jeff wrote:
* the revised options *
> I'll reword the Option list:
>
>     Exactly what does the BL connect to directly (that the user can
see)?

>         A.  Only BL and PL nets
>
>         A1. Option A, but BL nets are transparent
>
>         B.  Option A, plus a couple nodes such as documents and
>             containers
>
>         C.  Anything

>From the few comments I got back,

Jeff, I don't know if I am the only dumb one, but I haven't been
commenting on this thread because I really don't understand what is
going on :-). I understand what PL networks are because these are the
networks that Overflow uses right now. The way I have been working
with things is to make an Overflow network map directly onto the
Loci "workspace" and dealing with things like this.
    What I don't understand is:

1. What exactly is a BL network?

2. How does a BL network differ from a PL network? Does it have to do
with network location?

2a. If it has to do with network location, I am really confused about
what is going on, because I thought the dl would be mostly responsible
for remote communication. In the documentation for the definition
layer (http://bioinformatics.org/piper/documentation/dl_info.pdf) I
wrote up with diagrams about how I thought remote communication would
work, and this doesn't involve the bl communicating remotely. I
thought this was how we were working, but maybe not. Do people not
like this? Is this thinking incorrect? Please let me know so I can not
only change it, but modify my thinking as well.

3. Shouldn't the whole entire implementation system of Piper be
invisibile to the user? I thought this was the point of separating out
the build time and run time layers. Why should the user have to worry
about whether they are adding a bl or pl network or whatever?

4. What is the point of the PL and BL, exactly, in other people's
minds? I thought that the PL handled application wrapping and basic
piping between internal nodes, and that the BL would handle
"organizing the workflow diagram" into a fast model, and implementing
cool genetic algorithms to think of ways to make connected nodes run
faster. Am I totally off? Maybe someone could clarify what is going on
here if I am :-)

5. Shouldn't dealing with the filesystem (like loading documents) or
dealing with databases be done by the "build time system" and thus be
handled by the definition layer? It seems like the run time system
only cares about having data and manipulating it, and not having to
deal with stuff like connecting to different databases, etc.

6. What are people's immmediate development goals for Piper? What I
have been working towards is adding all of the functionality from
Overflow into Piper, using the Piper framework. So when the system is
done, we would have something with mostly Overflow functionality, but
with the added advantage of one user interface, dealing with remote
connections, having genetic algorithsm to improve running speed in the
BL, etc. Does this BL/PL network stuff that you are talking about
affect how I should be coding right now? If so, what should I be
doing differently?

Okay, I guess all of that is enough to show that I am thoroughly
confused about what is going with this whole discussion :-). I
apologize for being so dense about all of this...

Brad