[Pipet Devel] announcements

Brad Chapman chapmanb at arches.uga.edu
Fri Jun 23 22:34:30 EDT 2000

> I think we should make some announcements about Piper now to get the
> attention
> of developers.  I'd like to make general announcements about the
project (not
> saying we have a release) on Gnotices and Freshmeat.  What do you
think?

Well, Jeff, I don't think I need to write to tell you what I think
about making announcments without having code :-).
    Seriously, I think if you are really excited about making
announcements we need one of two things:

1. Actual code that people can download and play with.

2. Detailed information about what someone could do to help with the
project if they wanted to. A good example of this that I like is in
Berlin (has anyone figured out that I like Berlin yet :-). They have
nice development info (http://www.berlin-consortium.org/devel.html)
and also task lists for people interested in helping in different ways
(http://www2.berlin-consortium.org/wiki/html/Berlin/TaskList.htm).

The reason I say this is just based on how I feel about looking at
pages. No offense to dLoo, but when you asked us to look at their page
the first time I looked at it, said to myself "neat ideas" and then
promptly forgot about it. The problem is that anyone in the whole
world can spend a lot of time making a nice web page with all of their
ideas on it, but this doesn't really mean anything unless I think the
ideas will really be implemented. And there are two ways I think the
ideas will be implemented:

1. They've already done it.

2. They have projects people can work on, and a project sounds cool
enough to me that I will work on it and help implement it.

I just think the first time people take some time to look at Piper,
they should be able to feel like they can do something other than just
read about it. Just me 2 bits...

Brad