[Pipet Devel] 3/1 and 1/3

J.W. Bizzaro bizzaro at geoserve.net
Fri Mar 24 16:06:07 EST 2000

Jean-Marc Valin wrote:
> That's no problem... Overflow is built in a very modular way. All the
> functionality is built into nodes (C++ classes). If you don't like some of them,
> you just don't use them, but they don't interfere. If you "rm" a library you
> don't want, things will still work (without recompiling). The same for the
> Overflow types (like neural nets, vector quantizers, ...). As for supporting
> VSH, every new feature will simply be a new node in Overflow.

Very nice.

> About the architecture... what about this: Everything that's done locally
> (including running other exceutables) is handled by Overflow and all networking
> stuff would be handled by GMS, which would take care of connecting all Overflow
> processes (here I'm talking about "process" in a weak sense) through a network.
> This way there wouldn't be any duplication. Also, every node-to-node connection
> in the GMS part of the GUI would be assumed to be "network-able".

This is EXACTLY what I was thinking of.  Brad and Jarl, is this not what you
guys were thinking?

> Concerning the GUI, I don't think it would be hard to plug in what we've got so
> far in another app. Or we can just embed the current GUI in the new app using
> bonobo. I don't know enough about this to say which is best.

I don't dislike Overflow's GUI.  I just believe GMS and Overflow should have
GUIs that work alike.  Plus, we've come up with some very nice GUI features
for Loci that I'd like to see VSH have.

                      |           J.W. Bizzaro           |
                      | http://bioinformatics.org/~jeff/ |
                      |        BIOINFORMATICS.ORG        |