[Pipet Devel] gui protocol revisited

jarl van katwijk jarl at casema.net
Sat Mar 25 06:10:22 EST 2000

> > Yes. See also the GConf project.
> > It's about 'programs registring into gnome', so much relavant info is availeble
> > for wrapping an application. Less need to build code for every single application,
> >
> > maybe we could write a general one once we use GConf.
> >
> > Example: A email applet could simply register itself as a handler for the smtp
> > and pop mimetypes. GMS will collect this data from the gconf database, and
> > export the needed structure to activate this dataflow inside Overflow.
>
> Are you saying VSH will need GConf installed to do wrapping?  Or are you
> saying that we'll use something like GConf?

No, not right now. But GConf will be in GNOME 2.0. So at that time this application
information is available in every gnome environment. Let's stick to what Overflow
current does, but using the GConf registry will become very tempting once it's becoming

supported by more-and-more gnome applications.