[Pipet Devel] overflow<->loci translation and 3 basic gui objects

J.W. Bizzaro bizzaro at geoserve.net
Tue Mar 28 01:43:15 EST 2000

jarl van katwijk wrote:

> > Also, I'm not sure whether I like 'link' or 'connector' better.  What do you
> > guys like?  We could also consider 'line' and 'branch'.
>
> So a 'link'\'connector' is a relation between nodes?

In Loci terminology, a connector=link is passage for data to flow between
nodes.  It also indicates relations, such as which runs first and parent-child
relations.

Maybe it means something different in Overflow terminology.  Jean-Marc?

> > So, maybe VSH could use the following (basic and collective) object names:
> >
> >   Overflow             Loci                   VSH
> >   --------             --------               ---------
> >   Document             Windowlet/workspace    Window
> >   Network/subnet       Workflow diagram       Network
> >   Node                 Locus                  Node
> >   Link                 Connector              Link (or connector)
>
> What is the diff. between a Window and a Network?

Okay, these are PURELY GUI TERMS.  A window is pretty much an X-Window that
gives you a view of the network or networks.  They can't be the same, because
they look very much different to the user.  Plus, a window can contain more
than one network.

But I think the core can combine window and node.

                      |        BIOINFORMATICS.ORG        |
                      |           The Open Lab           |