[Pipet Devel] UI/DL and selection WAS executing a network script

Brad Chapman chapmanb at arches.uga.edu
Fri May 5 14:50:53 EDT 2000

Jarl wrote:
> ? explain please.

This is what I was trying to do with my example :-) My point was
supposed to be that a whole ton of stuff has to happen just to support
a user click on the canvas. This will makes things reaaaaaaaly slow.

Jarl wrote:
> because non lineair node access makes troubble?
> Shouldn't this kinda access already be there? The UI user can do
anything
> at anytime.

No, non-linear access is actually the only kind of access to nodes I
have :-) The problem is more that everything is stored in xml and not
in memory. I was working with this model because I was thinking we
were going to only be dealing with large scale changes to things. But
now I need to re-think this.

[...me talking about Berlin...]
Jarl wrote:
> I read the site, and I didn't really saw the relanvance. Just the
fact they
> use corba everywhere or is there more?

I guess I thought the relevance was that we both have something like
the following:

external ui ---------> information that defines ui
             formal
             separation

In their case they have the external ui (in any language) manipulating
what they call a scene graph, which defines how the ui looks. In our
case, we have an external ui manipulating an xml description, which
defines how the ui looks. I just kind of throught there were some
parallels here, at least in my warped mind :-)

Brad