[Pipet Devel] about XML

J.W. Bizzaro bizzaro at geoserve.net
Fri May 5 15:24:23 EDT 2000

Jean-Marc Valin wrote:

> I think there's something we need to make clear about XML. The only reason I was
> using XML in Overflow is that I didn't want to spend too much time writing a
> parser. I'm storing all the info as objects (UINode, UINetwork, ...) and use the
> XML only for load/save (I use lib-xml as a black box and don't care how it's
> saved). This is why I don't understand everything that's going on on this list
> about XML... am I missing something?

We were planning on using XML for permanent storage of information about where
nodes are, what nodes are connected to what, etc.  This is the
"pseudo-distributed-filesystem" I mentioned before.

Brad, while we're on this topic, perhaps XML writing should be done only when
the user chooses to "save" a network.  You could use DOM in-between saves to
speed things up.

                      |        BIOINFORMATICS.ORG        |
                      |           The Open Lab           |