[Pipet Devel] UI/DL and selection

J.W. Bizzaro bizzaro at geoserve.net
Fri May 5 20:40:02 EDT 2000

Brad Chapman wrote:

> I would like to store everything in one format only, and I want to
> stick with xml since we already have that. I don't see any reason why
> we can't have an xml tag like:
>
> <widget name='gtk_selection_widget' x='25' y='38' />
>
> and if the ui doesn't have widgets (ie. a text based ui) it just
> ignores these tags (assuming it is using a script saved on a gui based
> ui).
>     I think one thing we don't need is more files being introduced
> into the filesystem and would like to keep everything describing a
> node in a single file of xml. If we introduce the idea of xml that can
> be parsed into a widget by the ui, then this should be in a separate
> file, but I want to keep simple info like widgets and x/y position
> together. *Most* uis that are implemented will want this type of info.

Okay, I agree.  It does seem simplest to put this "meta-data XML" in with the
network XML.  And here I am arguing against mixing content and presentation
:-P

But to help the DL identify which tag belongs to which UI (or even layer),
shouldn't the UI's name be in there?  Example:

                      |        BIOINFORMATICS.ORG        |
                      |           The Open Lab           |