[Pipet Devel] Fun with ORBs

Jean-Marc Valin jean-marc.valin at hermes.usherb.ca
Wed May 10 00:20:29 EDT 2000

> > (5) I never said "Drop Gnome".  I said we shouldn't try to create a dependency
> > on any one DESKTOP system, because Piper is not about the DESKTOP.
>
> Let's simply use the best GNU libraries and tools that are available, whatever
> they belong to.

I guess this comes down to having the minimum library dependencies for each part
of the project. We should separate parts that require gnome from parts that
doesn't (as for the UI* vs GUI* classes in Overflow). I like gnome, but I don't
want to use it for parts that don't require it (eg. libraries that could be used
in a command-line tool). I don't want to reinvent the wheel (i.e. write code
instead of using an available library), but I don't want to add a dependency for
just a trivial function. I guess there's nothing really new in what I'm
saying...

	Jean-Marc

--
Jean-Marc Valin
Universite de Sherbrooke - Genie Electrique
valj01 at gel.usherb.ca