[Pipet Devel] NETPIPES

J.W. Bizzaro bizzaro at geoserve.net
Mon May 15 18:09:59 EDT 2000

Okay, I just wanted to hear from you guys if you thought Netpipes was
applicable or usable.  I guess not.

The reason I wanted some feedback on it was because of some of the
similarities with Piper.  Both Piper and Netpipes extend the Unix paradigm (at
least the standard shell in Netpipes' case) to allow piping across networks,
among other things.  And I thought some ideas or code may be reused from
Netpipes.

I've been trying to keep "The Unix Way" in mind when thinking about the design
of Loci (and now Piper).  For example, "networks" can be thought of as
directories or filesystem volumes (I've mentioned this a number of times).
And nodes are often networks (and often not), just like Unix files (or what
seems to be a file when you take a listing) are often directories (and often
not).

It's important for user interface design (people will have to use Piper
somehow ;-)) to be able to represent this extended Unix paradigm in a familiar
way.  Those who have been on the Loci list will remember I mentioned a
console-based (textual) "front" (UI) for Loci.  The user would be able to
control Loci/Piper with the UI in a Unix shell-like manner.  How?  That's what
we have to keep in mind.

I'm thinking that the user would always be "inside" of a network, just like a
Unix shell user is inside of a directory.  So, a user can choose to "change
networks" (perhaps with a "cn" command), jumping between parent and child
networks.

Of course, this means the user needs to see what other nodes and networks are
in the "working network".  So, perhaps he/she can take a "listing" ("ls"
command?) of what is in that network.

Do you see what I'm getting at?  We're right in line with "The Unix Way" here
(very smoov), and we should should continue to think like this.  You may also
see now why Netpipes caught my attention (in case you don't, Netpipes ALSO
lets you make CONNECTIONS via command-line :-)).

(I'm not saying to use Netpipes.  Let's not, since it seems obsolete.  But, I
want to borrow some ideas for the console-based UI.)

jarl van katwijk wrote:

> Dont want to disencourage, but ... ;)
> Netpipes is like netcat (nc), it's for piping (like the '|'  shell sign) streams
> across a
> network. But only in 2D space. This tool is just too simplistic for our needs.
> It aint
> got the ability to define connection types at all.
> As I said before, I'm intending to use Gnet for high speed connections, and
> corba
> for all the others. Gnet is a direct concurrent to netpipes, but it's a library
> that
> doesn't need any coding to integrate with the BL. Netpipes could be used in a
> 'wrapping' mode, but that's not very tempting to me.
>
> (Gnet : http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~dhelder/misc/gnet/)

                      |        BIOINFORMATICS.ORG        |
                      |           The Open Lab           |