[Pipet Devel] Software Carpentry Project

J.W. Bizzaro bizzaro at geoserve.net
Wed May 17 08:50:20 EDT 2000

deanne at density.biop.umich.edu wrote:

> License info is available at
>
> http://software-carpentry.codesourcery.com/license.html
>
> Essentially they want the artist to keep rights to the code, looks
> like. Open Source without changes, or something.

Not to start a big licensing debate here, but the GPL does not cause the
artist to lose any rights to his/her code.  Every GPL license starts with a
copyright notice in the name of the artist(s).  The FSF lets people assign
their copyright to the FSF, but this is only an option.

The page you're referring to, Deanne, isn't the same one I saw at the
beginning of the contest many moons ago.  The wording of the licensing rules I
saw said the competitors MUST use the MIT license.  It's not as though the
authors came to a concensus about it.  It's strange.  I might think this
requirement means the contest holders have a closed-source distribution in
mind, but it's a little hard to do that with Python, isn't it?

                      |        BIOINFORMATICS.ORG        |
                      |           The Open Lab           |