[Pipet Devel] IRC - Overflow/Piper merging and XML files

Brad Chapman chapmanb at arches.uga.edu
Tue May 30 12:21:38 EDT 2000

Deanne wrote:
> Why don't we just code our own XML/Python DB storage 'dbm' file? We
could
> store things in dictionaries and by keys (wink to Brad) instead of
> creating lots of little files. Then we could either load the thing
into
> memory or just leave it as a file on the filesystem (through
auto-pickling
> on occasion). I guess it goes by how fast Python can search thru the
> keys, but the dictionary type seems so well suited to this.

I think this is a very good idea, as I thought up the same thing
myself a little while ago :-) (see the thread 'XML database stuff'
from the march archives of the Loci list). I was proposing using the
shelve module, which is basically a dictionary-like interface to
pickle. I never actually implemented it, but from my reading into it,
it didn't seem like it would scale well to a lot of files :-<. I
currently use the shelve module for storing encrypted password
information, but haven't dared to try and extend it to the xml files
we store.
    I wrote some preliminary python bindings for XDBM
(http://www.bowerbird.com.au/XDBM/), which is an xml database manager.
It might be possible to build a system like you propose based on that,
but I haven't really gotten into it any more from lack of time/lack
of necessity, etc.

    Brad