[Pipet Devel] Is this accurate?

J.W. Bizzaro jeff at bioinformatics.org
Mon Sep 4 17:41:05 EDT 2000

Jean-Marc Valin wrote:

> I'd also like to add that not all Piper developers are working on Life sciences.
> I'm co-author of the Piper processing layer (the Overflow project), which was
> primarly developped for signal (speech, image) processing, from an electrical
> engineering point of view. I think Piper is more than a life science thing.

I second that notion.  I have presented Piper to my colleagues in the life
sciences as a system that can be very useful to them, but I am always sure to
mention that Piper is general-purpose in design.  I believe that this makes
Piper even better for special-purpose use, since it can change along with
standards.  It also attracts a broader mindshare of users and developers,
which only helps to improve the system for everyone.

Perhaps we are not all scientists, but all of the developers appreciate the
need for a system capable of very sophisticated operation, yet with a simple
facade.

J.W. Bizzaro                                           jeff at bioinformatics.org
Director, Bioinformatics.org: The Open Lab     http://bioinformatics.org/~jeff
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
               -- Martin Luther King, Jr.