[Pipet Devel] Licensing issues

J.W. Bizzaro jeff at bioinformatics.org
Thu Sep 7 11:27:32 EDT 2000

In my opinion, we could license all of the parts to Piper under either the GPL
OR LGPL, providing we clarify what is meant by "linked".

GPL vs. LGPL:  As Jean-Marc mentioned, the LGPL ("lesser" or "library" GPL) is
meant to allow closed-source programs to "link" TO LGPL-licensed code.  The
GTK+ and GNOME libraries are both LGPL'd, which means a company like Applix
can use them for Applixware with no legal problems.  (The Qt library, however,
has recently been re-licensed under the GPL, which would force such a company
to use the alternative QPL and pay for it.)

Is Piper a library?  Well, sort of.  I believe applications like BlueBox,
ISYS, and OpenBSA will make use of Piper in such a way.  And, ISYS is
closed-source, which means the GPL might not work for them.  But, the fact
that the use of Piper by ISYS would take place through CORBA, is an issue.  Is
the use of CORBA considered "linking"?  Jean-Marc says no.  If not, GPL vs.
LGPL is irrelevant to us.

Neither the GPL or LGPL provides us with a good definition of "linking".  I
used to find this frustrating, since so much hinges on the definition.
However, I now think this was intentional, because there is an enormous
continuum of "linking" examples out there.  It should thus be up to the author
to define or clarify what is meant by "linking" and how it applies to their
code.

The LGPL would cover "one end" for us, without having to specify that "CORBA
is not linking": It says that pretty much anything can link TO Piper.  But, we
would nonetheless be left to define what can be linked FROM Piper.  I say we
should put an exception in the license (either GPL or LGPL) for all programs,
etc., that are "linked" as "nodes".  The Linux kernel has the same exception
for device drivers.

Maybe I didn't answer the question that Jean-Marc proposed: GPL or LGPL?  I
just rephrased it :-)  If we all agree that the ONLY uses of Piper would be
via CORBA and nodes, then we should choose the ordinary GPL.

Vote?

J.W. Bizzaro                                           jeff at bioinformatics.org
Director, Bioinformatics.org: The Open Lab     http://bioinformatics.org/~jeff
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
               -- Martin Luther King, Jr.