[Pipet Devel] GPL/LGPL issues

J.W. Bizzaro jeff at bioinformatics.org
Mon Sep 11 20:06:21 EDT 2000

Jean-Marc Valin wrote:

> You are right, however, adding the exception ("you can link to closed-source")
> *might* make the "modified" license incompatible with the GPL, meaning if we
> allow the exception, then we cannot link to GPL'd plugins anymore (ie. we
> couldn't use FFTW anymore). Of course, I'm not sure of that and that's why I
> asked RMS about it.

RMS said, "What I can say about the question of non-free plug-ins is that
using the LGPL would definitely permit them."

It really all depends on whether Piper is a program using libraries, or is
library used by programs.  We can specify it either way in the license.

I think RMS pretty clearly states that the LGPL will allow Piper, acting as a
library to the plugins, to use any kind of plugin.

J.W. Bizzaro                                           jeff at bioinformatics.org
Director, Bioinformatics.org: The Open Lab     http://bioinformatics.org/~jeff
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
               -- Martin Luther King, Jr.