[Pipet Devel] Re: [Fwd: Piper Program]

J.W. Bizzaro jeff at bioinformatics.org
Tue Mar 13 18:33:29 EST 2001

Jean-Marc Valin wrote:

> What do you mean by *parallel*? Why distribute if you don't run stuff in
> parallel? Or I just got a different meaning for the word?

When I think of distributed parallel computing, I think of SETI at Home and
similar projects.  They automatically break up a single data set and send
the pieces to identical processes.

With Piper, the data and the processes can be different.  I'm not saying
that Piper can't do parallel processing, but it is meant to be much more
flexible.  For one, a user can create a sequential (serial) workflow path
and not be limited to a parallel one.  And I imagine Piper would be good at
tying together parallel systems.

Jeff