[Pipet Devel] Piper design issue

J.W. Bizzaro jeff at bioinformatics.org
Wed Mar 21 19:27:38 EST 2001

Hi Jarl!  Sorry for taking a while to get back to this.

Jarl van Katwijk wrote:

> But there's one issue that's big enough to discuss, the transparency of
> the BL for passing DL -> PL communications. For the BL's sake in theory
> there's no limitation of what can be passed on, I see none for the PL
> because a NEW pl will be used, in paralel if needed.

What do you mean by "a new PL"?

> The problem is with
> the UI and DL which are not capable of handling new and threaded remote
> input.
>
> When a DL has commited a network that is to be executed on multiple
> machines, it will receive PUSHED responses.

Can you give me an example of a pushed response?

> Like on a plain text
> terminal it's possible to put text by applications. I would like to add
> a 'virtual tty' or 'graphical output area' to the UI and DL designs.
> When it's possible for nodes\networks to push their output to the UI
> Piper will be a much more powerfull system.
[...]
> What do you think about this? And what about the amound of work it will
> take to implement?

I was thinking about a node that would work as an interactive tty/console,
perhaps running Peep or bash.

Are you talking about text that the UI and DL would not "expect", text that is
only for the user and not to be passed on?

Couldn't we put a "text viewer" in the pipeline of whatever application to do
this?

J.W. Bizzaro                                           jeff at bioinformatics.org
Director, Bioinformatics.org: The Open Lab     http://bioinformatics.org/~jeff
"All those scientists--they're all alike!  They say they're working for us,
but what they really want is to rule the world!"
  -- Angry Villager, Young Frankenstein