[Pipet Devel] ideas for a smaller piper core

J.W. Bizzaro jeff at bioinformatics.org
Mon May 28 14:05:52 EDT 2001

Just yammering...

This has nothing to do with liking or disliking any one part of Piper, and it
has everything to do with modularity.  Jarl once said that someone somewhere
may want to swap out his BL for another one.  Should Piper be modular enough
to allow that?  I think so.  And I really don't care if something thinks that
my Pied (Desktop) is sh*t and wants to use something else.

I would even support putting the UIL, DL, BL and PL into separate CVS modules
and distributing them as separate packages.  In fact, let's just put that on
the table.  Some may argue that it becomes too confusing for users, but our
users won't be complete novices anyway.

J.W. Bizzaro                                jeff at bioinformatics.org
Director, Bioinformatics.org        http://bioinformatics.org/~jeff
"As we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we
should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention
of ours; and this we should do freely and generously."
                   -- Benjamin Franklin